28 November 2019
As the saying goes, “No man is an island.” Well, the same can be said for marketing platforms. You don’t have to – and, in fact, you should NOT – choose a single marketing channel to get your message out. Studies have shown us repeatedly that campaigns with multiple marketing communications channels yield a much higher result than single-channel campaigns. And no two marketing mediums work better together than the combination of email marketing and direct mail newsletter marketing.
Research by the U.S. Postal Service proves that an average of 2/3rds of homeowners will handle and/or read direct mail delivered to their homes. Whereas email drip campaigns are inexpensive, easy to track and can be opened and read from multiple devices, wherever your prospect happens to be.
5 Facts About Real Estate Direct Mail Newsletters
A recent study by the Post Office determined that more than 85% of homeowners open their direct mail newsletters. The most compelling direct mail pieces are those that are personalized to the recipient. In addition:
- If you assume that Millennials don’t reply to direct mail newsletters, you are missing out on a huge opportunity. Research has shown that 57% of Millennials claim that direct mail marketing has been a factor in their motivation to make a purchase – including a home purchase. Even more promising is that half of Millennials surveyed say that they are excited to receive a direct mail piece that has been personalized to them.
- Nearly 60% of Boomers confirmed that they enjoy receiving and holding personalized direct mail pieces in their hands, and appreciate it when they receive useful and relevant information in the mail.
- Direct mail newsletters will get into the hands of homeowners. If you think about it, newsletters are the only marketing tool that practically ensures that you will consistently reach homeowners in their homes – particularly if you include direct mail in your comprehensive automated real estate marketing success system.
- Research has shown that homeowners will continue to remember the information contained in direct mail newsletters days after receiving it, as opposed to the same information they have seen through online channels.
- Studies also show that more than 55% of your targeted market find direct mail to be more trustworthy than other marketing sources. The tactile nature of direct mail is likely a contributing factor, according to findings. In addition, people will hold on to their direct mail if they believe it contains relevant and high value content.
- Direct mail boosts your marketing results across all channels! Studies have shown that direct mail pieces will increase attention rates – from your email marketing, to your website, to your digital advertising – by almost approximately 40%.
- The success rate of direct mail increases when it is customized, personalized and full of information that is valuable and interesting to your prospects.
There is no denying that direct mail newsletters are an effective tool in your real estate marketing arsenal. As valuable as they are, however, emailed real estate marketing campaigns cannot be left out of the marketing mix.
Virtually everyone has an email address. And most people check their emails regularly throughout the day and evening. And the added good news? Research from SmartInsights.com tells us that real estate email marketing campaigns that contain contents such as real estate advice, hot tips, news and special offers, achieve higher open rates than other industries.
There’s no doubt about it, email campaigns are an effective way to stay top of mind with clients, nurture prospects, communicate valuable and relevant information, and solicit referrals.
Direct mail newsletters and email campaigns are effective real estate marketing tools in their own right. When combined as part of an overall marketing strategy, however, they become exponentially more powerful. In fact, a recent MarketingProfs.com report shows that combining direct mail marketing with email marketing can elevate your success rate by 35%.
35% is a huge lead increase! Depending on a real estate agent’s starting point, that can translate into tens of thousands of dollars per year. And with a proper referral & repeat marketing system in place, that success can continue to increase exponentially year-over-year.
But this success rate cannot be achieved if you are not utilizing both direct mail newsletters and email marketing properly. Here are a few ways to ensure you’re doing just that.
7 Tips for Leveraging Real Estate Direct Mail Newsletters and E-mail Marketing
- Use direct mail newsletters to stay top of mind with your past clients who are likely to refer you and ask you to represent them again in the future.
- Send direct mail newsletters to your chosen geographic farm, and make sure to provide valuable property information and community news.
- Create email drip campaigns for prospects and clients who do not fall into Tip 1.
- Send direct mail newsletters and email communications at regular and consistent intervals.
- Keep your database up-to-date and use reminders/task functions.
- Ensure that both direct mail newsletters and email marketing are strategic components in your overall Real Estate Marketing Success System.
- You do not have to choose one or the other form of communication. For example, if you are using direct mail newsletters to stay in touch with your top tier clients, it does not mean that you should not send them an email for updates, holidays and “breaking news.”
It’s evident that there are a multitude of reasons that you should add both direct mail newsletters and email campaigns to your real estate marketing mix. If you have any questions about how to create the perfect Real Estate Marketing Success System, or require other real estate marketing advice, please do not hesitate to contact Morris Real Estate Marketing Group.